Wednesday 19 August 2009

My Tomatoes Have Blight.

I have been trying to grow tomatoes this year and I have been really disappointed as none of them seemed to want to ripen.
Then a week or so ago some started going red but no sooner had they started to get some colour they would rot and go black - Mum says its blight :(

We all spent some time in the garden this afternoon and harvested all the un-blighted looking tomatoes today and am hoping that I will be able to salvage and use them for something.
Fried Green Tomatoes anyone? The cat likes them & they make quite a good photo! I took a semi self portrait with them this evening for my day 10 picture.


Naughty

2 comments:

  1. Great photo. You sure you're a novice?

    Bummer about the blight. It's happening all around us. I hear you can boost your soil with good compost and that's supposed to help out for next season. I'm not even sure I know what real blight looks like, versus a tomato that got too cold in the evenings. You got a picture? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, only just found your comment!
    Yes, a complete Novice! I've only had my DSLR since July time....I have had normal point and shoot digital in the past but never anything this technical!

    I can assure you that most of the pictures that come out well are just pure luck! Maybe beginners luck? LOL

    My tomatos looked healthy and green & then as soon as they started to show a tinge of red and looking like they were going to ripen they went black and mouldy...

    My Dad the gardener said it was blight...
    I picked all the healthy green ones to see if they would ripen in the bowl...they didn't :(

    ReplyDelete